- The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 1997 under the faculty of Science in Government College, Kariavattom, Trivandrum.
- The Department offers a career related first degree programme in Biotechnology named B.Sc. Biotechnology Multimajor which is unique in having three core papers- Biotechnology, Chemistry and either Botany or Zoology.
- This subject is heavily demanded and has diverse job prospects in the areas of research and development (R&D) and the expertise is quite useful in the Industrial and Medical fields.
- The Department offers BSc Biotechnology (Core) Course and Biotechnology as part of the core course of BSc Biotechnology.
- It follows the syllabus and course pattern prescribed by the University of Kerala.
- The vision is to produce human resource with a potential to innovate, invent and disseminate knowledge on life science for the benefit of humanity and environment.
- To initiate faculty development programmes
- To evolve into an active platform for biotechnology education, training and research at the interphase of multiple disciplines.
- To provide quality education with a strong foundation on basic concepts of Biotechnology that transform students globally competent.
- To provide our nation Biotech professionals who are able to implement scientific principles in needed sectors.
- To update course curriculum regularly to cater the needs of academia and industry.
- To create opportunities for students to engage in multidisciplinary research.
- To start PG and M.Phil programmes and to establish a research department.
- To graduate students who can compete, with advantage, within the relevant academic and commercial markets in the world.
- To develop infrastructure and instrumentation facilities sufficiently to attain these missions.
- To organize Conferences, Symposia and Workshops to equip and refresh students and faculty on the recent trends and advances of the subject
- To inculcate scientific attitude and research interest in students.
- To provide quality education that lays a strong foundation on the very basic aspects of the rapidly developing subject- Biotechnology.
Department of Bio-Technology offers undergraduate course in Bio-Technology.
- BSc in Bio-Technology
Details of Courses
- A pass in Higher Secondary Exam of the State or an Exam accepted by the University as equivalent thereto with Biology as one of the subjects
- Bioquest 2006 –National Seminar on Biotechnology organized by CUBS (Conglomeration of Upcoming Biotechnology Students) 0n 16th Oct 2006
- Current Trends in Life Sciences 2016 – National Seminar jointly organized by Dept of Biotechnology, Botany and Zoology on 10th to 12th February 2016.